Hope House Home for Boys

The cards that I sell here in Chapala and Ajijic, Mexico benefit the dental program for the boys at Hope House in the nearby village of Ixlahuacan. There are close to 30 boys at the home and many of them come to the home having received no dental treatment. If you live here at Lakeside and would like to order a quality, hand crafted card for a special occasion and help me contribute to this worthy cause, please e-mail me at bettyinchapala@yahoo.com Card price is 50 pesos; the entire sales price is donated to Hope House.

Followers -- Some of my favorite people!

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Good Saturday Morning!

Hello friends! I've been missing in action the last couple of days since moving into my house. Actually, it took me a while to figure out how to connect to the internet here! I am within walking distance to Wal-Mart (yes, there is a Wal-Mart here; I think it's been around for just under a year) so I went over there the day I moved in to pick up some things I needed. Okay, bottled water, laundry detergent, cooking oil, a papaya and a numbert of misc. items can get quite heavy! Luckily for me, they have a free shuttle van and I was able to get a ride home and it only cost me a tip for the driver! How great is that????
Melisa was wanting to know if I can get American food here or if there are any fast food places. Well, there are some Americans here who have opened restaurants (i.e., 60's in Paradise where the speciality is hamburgers, malts, and 50's and 60's music & memorabilia) but there aren't too many American fast food chains here. But, there is one, and I can see their sign from my mirador (that's an outside living space on the roof of the house). I'm going to go get my camera and take a picture so you can see it too!I used my camera zoom and then cropped my photo in Picasa so it looks like Domino's Pizza place is just next door but actually it's a little walk on past Wal-Mart. At least I'll be able to walk off some of those pizza calories! Haven't tried one yet so can't say for sure that they taste exactly like their counterparts in the US. Will have to report on that later! I had a good healthy supper last night. Grilled a piece of Basa (fish), also grilled some onions, and had a couple slices of fresh papaya. I was so glad to find the basa at Wal-Mart because hubby and I ate a lot of that at home. There's also a fish market nearby as well as a meat market.
Thanks for stopping by to visit!
Betty

8 comments:

The Other Patti Sue said...

So happy your settled in your house! Any prospects on your other house? I thinks it' kinda hard to sell right now!

Patti J said...

Sounds like you are having the time of your life! Hmmm....I feel a vacation in my future...maybe a trip to see Betty? Looks SO beautiful there! Do you know who the lady was that you talked to from Mo. the other day? It would be ironic if it was someone that I know! Have a great weekend!

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

Sounds like you have it all covered, my friend! Guess if they don't have it at Wal- Mart, ya don't need it! Lol! Glad you are getting settled, Betty

Patti P. said...

Good ole wally world....at least it is convenient and familiar. New things are wonderful but sometimes I need the security of familiar, too. Glad you are getting settled and love reading about your adventures.

A Consuming Passion said...

Sounds as though you're making youself 'at home' in your new abode! Glad to hear all's well and hope the house sells soon for you so hubby can move down too!

Amanda J said...

Hope Dominoes is good when you get around to trying it...Remember how the Pizza Hut pizza in Jakarta just wasn't the same?? If I remember correctly, you weren't really a fan, I never had any trouble enjoying it though!

Melisa Waldorf said...

Well how cool is that! Yes, let us know how the pizza compares. And Walmart too!! Ok, so proof that it is a civilized society down there, teehee. I feel much better! But missing you and hoping you are feeling better!

Melisa Waldorf said...

Betty, I see an Amanda J above my comment. Is that your Mandy??